Wednesday 5 October 2016

Hydrocortisone Day Curve and MRI

My next appointment was on the 2nd September for my Hydrocortisone day curve and MRI. While my previous day curves tested if Metyrapone was blocking the tumour enough my day curves from now on will be testing whether I am taking enough hydrocortisone and at the right time. These appointments were really really unexciting to the point where I can't think of a single thing I laughed at. Oh. Except for the awkward (and long) moment when they told me to take all my jewelery out for the MRI and I had to take out all 11 earrings,  necklace and nose ring one by one and put them in a plastic cup while the lady was standing right in front of me about two feet away with a clipboard in her hand. I still vouch this wasn't my fault because my appointment times had given me a good hour in between to get myself and iced coffee and a packet of mini poppadoms (I LOVE those things!) but they called me and told me to come in sooner. But hey, Im not to complain... as I've said before, efficiency is the way to my heart.

Anyway, day curve. Uninteresting. Went in. Hopped onto my very familiar bed. Froze to death yet again and she popped my cannula in. BP still healthy and cannula went in the magic vein without any problem. Although when she did put that sticky thing on to keep it in place I was apprehensive because the last time patsy took my blood at the GH 'injection lesson' the plaster left a nasty, itchy, blistery rash and I had come to the conclusion i was now allergic to plasters and anything alike (they heal one thing and replace it with another). Never mind, I'd rather have an allergy to something trivial than something that could kill me i suppose...

i know its gross, I'm sorry.

So anyway, the day was the same. Hopped on the bed, had my first set of bloods taken, took a nap. Had my second set of bloods taken, had a nap (you know the drill). By the time it got to about 1 o'clock I could no longer take a nap. I sat twiddling my thumbs as there is no bloody signal and my eyeballs were too tired to read and that was my day curve. Not very interesting (as i forewarned you).

The MRI was maybe even less interesting. I got a call while my coffee was being made saying that if i was nearby they were free. Course I was nearby. Been in the same bloody hospital for 7 hours already. I went to the suite and the said awkward moment happened. The nurses at PIU had left the cannula in for the contrast to be administered for the MRI because they know how hard I am to cannulate making the summary of this appointment is even shorter...

I had my MRI and it was time to go. Normally they would remove the cannula and its sticky bit and put a plaster on but as the day went on i was getting more and more itchy and knew i was having another reaction. As she peeled it off the bloody rash was back with vengeance. The first time it had happened it was just a little bigger than one of those tiny round plasters they put on after a vaccination but this time it was the surface area of those big sticky things they keep your cannula in place with (I wish i knew what they were actually called). I asked her not to put a plaster on so she gave me some gauze and told me to put pressure on the little hole. I took it away and checked if it was still bleeding.... Nope. Time to get my things out my locker and plod on home.
... Bad idea. I stood up and the blood came gushing out (like that time with Kemi in PIU) so i frantically tried to cover the wound whilst stopping it dripping off my arm and onto my clothes. After a little clean up and a bit more time and pressure i really was good to go. Now just to wait for the results....

No comments:

Post a Comment