Thursday 19 November 2015

Overnight Dexamethasone Suppression Test - Day 1

I'll be writing day by day updates about this test but, based on today, I reckon the whole sagas gonna be a little anticlimactic, really. Today I went in at 10 to 9 in the morning, a little exicted to be taking my first steps to recovery but the appointment was boring. Unexciting and dry.... No funny stories, no Charlotte Cakebreads... Not even the smallest of anicdotes like a nurse with funky breath. I was just welcomed by a lady called Kemi who was given a sheet which told her to take my blood... So she did. 

Then another man came in and asked me if I'd take part in a clinical trial. He explained it all to me and I agreed. It was to see if testing saliva was accurate enough for testing cortisol levels so in future they wont require to do so many blood tests and the whole experience can be made a lot easier and enjoyable (yeah, id rather not have to take 3 hours out my day for a 30 second procedure for 3 days in a row). All i had to do was suck on a little foam finger for a minute. I wasnt allowed to touch it though, so pointing it out my mouth and having to aim for it to go back into the tube while he was watching me was kinda embarrassing. He gave me 2 other vials with 2 more foam fingers to take home and have a good old chew on, one before I take the 1mg of Dexamethasone tonight and one in the morning before I brush my teeth.

So yeah, testing has been pretty boring and uneventful so far. Next test after this one is the 24 Urine-Free Cortisol Test next week. They gave me a FIVE LITRE bottle to fill up. I can't WAIT to make the journey to hand that one in.


No comments:

Post a Comment